Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Gone with the wind…

Recently, I drove almost 85 miles for an interview. When I entered into the office, I was greeted by a very enthusiastic developer. And then came the moment of truth – he walked me into a room and told me to take a hands-on programming test. OK. The test was on VB6 programming. Well, what happened next is a very funny story, but it kept me nagging that I haven’t thought about VB environment for long time…with all this .NET code around, I just forgot about my old pal VB. Yes – it’s been almost a decade for me when I wrote any code in VB. And then while talking to somebody on COM/DCOM horror stories – I was told that the official support for VB development environment is gone. I found following post on VB resource center

“The Visual Basic 6.0 IDE will be supported on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 as part of the Visual Basic 6.0 Extended Support policy until April 8, 2008… ”
From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

Yes – VB runtime will be supported till 2019, but support for Visual Studio 6 is gone. Well, everyone using VB 6 is aware of this fact, but for me, on personnel note – it is a weird feeling...

"I have forgot much, Cynara! gone with the wind."

No comments: